We need to get moving! Social, or physical distancing which is recommended to reduce the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19) has altered our daily work and recreation patterns, leading to a much more sedentary lifestyle for many of us! Presently, I am working remotely like many of you, which requires less walking, and my gym and swim classes are cancelled. The number of steps I take in a typical day have been reduced by one-half. We know that Exercise (even a single bout) can boost your immune system and aid in recovery from viruses and infection. We also know that the sedentary lifestyle will have detrimental effects on health. As we modify our lifestyle to slow the spread of the coronavirus, we also need to establish new habits of movement to optimise our health.
Here is a new exercise challenge to incorporate into your day. If you are permitted to be outside, this should also be in addition to a walk, run, bike or hike.
7-Day Exercise Challenge 2
The 7-Day Exercise Challenge 2 includes core, arm and leg exercises.
- Warm up: Perform at least 60 seconds of aerobic exercise such as star or jumping jacks, running, or marching on the spot.
- Main set: Complete 3 rounds/sets of the following exercises:
- Sit ups (or crunches)
- Push-ups (or wall push-ups or knee push-ups)
- Lunges (or mini lunges)
- Set 1: Perform 15 reps of each exercise
- Set 2: Perform 9 reps of each exercise
- Set 3: Perform 6 reps of each exercise
- Allow 10 seconds of rest between each exercise. (Modified versions of the exercise are in parentheses)
- Stretch: Complete the workout with stretches including hamstrings, quads and glutes.
To modify the main set based on your fitness level, you may increase or decrease the number of reps
Easier: 12, 8, 4 reps
Harder: 21, 15, 9 reps
View or download our Simpli Move Health 7-Day Exercise Challenge 2
Keep yourself accountable?
- Buddy up with a friend and text your friend when you have completed your exercises without breaking the seven-day streak! Send them an “accomplishment emoji”! Day 1 ?; Day 2 ?…..
- Join us in our dedicated Facebook group. Let us know how you are going along the way.
- When you have completed the Simpli Move Health 7-Day Exercise Challenge 2, inform us of your achievement on Facebook group.
We will post another challenge next week!